Rule 6-101. The Board of District Court Judges.
To establish the Board of District Court Judges.
To prescribe the composition of the Board's membership, the method of selecting Board members and officers, and the members' terms of office.
To establish the procedure of the Board in the conduct of Board meetings.
This rule shall apply to the Board of District Court Judges.
Statement of the Rule:
(1) There is hereby established a Board of District Court Judges.
(2) Members of the Board shall be elected by the district court judges present at the district court business meeting at the annual judicial conference. The judges present at this meeting shall constitute a quorum. Nominations may be made only by district court judges, and must come from the judicial district or districts in which the vacancy exists.
(3) The Board shall consist of the following ten positions:
(3)(A) one from the First Judicial District;
(3)(B) two from the Second Judicial District;
(3)(C) three from the Third Judicial District;
(3)(D) two from the Fourth Judicial District;
(3)(E) two from the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh or Eighth Judicial District.
(4) Members of the Board shall serve staggered three-year terms or until a Board member is replaced or resigns.
(5) There shall be a Chair and Vice Chair of the Board selected from among the Board. The Vice Chair shall be elected by the Board members and shall be in the first or second year of a three-year term. The Vice Chair shall serve as Chair in the absence of the Chair or at the request of the Chair.
(6) The Vice Chair shall become Chair of the Board during the second or third year of a three-year term. The Chair shall preside over all meetings of the Board and over the annual district court business meeting.
(7) If a vacancy occurs for any reason between annual district court business meetings, the Board shall elect a replacement for the unexpired term of the vacancy. The Board shall adhere to the district makeup of the Board in this selection.
(8) Should the Chair of the Board resign or leave the Board for any reason, the Vice Chair shall become Chair, serving both the unexpired term of the Chair and full term as Chair.
(9) In the event that the Vice Chair of the Board resigns or leaves the Board for any reason a new Vice Chair shall be selected by the Board from among its members to serve the unexpired term of the Vice Chair.
(10) The Board shall meet a minimum of once every two months to transact any and all business that is within its jurisdiction.
(11) The Board shall act by majority vote. All members of the Board have the right to vote. Six members of the Board constitute a quorum.
(12) When a Board member is unable to attend a Board meeting, that member may designate a district judge, from the same district or districts represented by the absent member, to attend the meeting on behalf of the absent member. The substitute judge shall be provided with a copy of the agenda and other meeting materials, may attend the open and closed sessions of the meeting, and may participate in the discussion of agenda items. However, the substitute judge may not make motions or vote on Board issues.
(13) Board meetings shall be conducted in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order.
(14) All business conducted by the Board shall be conducted in accordance with this Code.